… and his descendants
Reviewed and updated 18 January 2015
This tree starts with Thomas Atcherley of Marton, in the Shropshire parish of Middle (or Myddle), and traces his descendants down to the 1900s when the main line of this illustrious part of the Atcherley family became extinct. A number of female lines branched off from this lineage, but for the most part only one son of each generation perpetuated the Atcherley name by having one or more sons of his own. Two exceptions to this general rule occurred early on, when Thomas Atcherley’s son Richard established a branch of the family at Wem (which continued at Wrexham and then Ellesmere before it ended with the death of Edward Atcherley in 1829) and his illegitimate son, also named Thomas, established another branch at Wykey in Ruyton XI Towns (which continued at Twyford in West Felton, and then at Stanwardine and elsewhere).
I have split this tree into two parts. It continues with Richard of Marton.
Unless otherwise stated, all places below are in Shropshire, England and those places outside Shropshire are in England or Wales.
[Top] 1st generation
Thomas Atcherley, son of Richard Atcherley (of Stanwardine in the parish of Baschurch, a tanner), was likely born in the 1580s at Stanwardine. A tanner, who lived at Marton in the parish of Middle and later at Wolverton in the parish of Wem. Buried 24 Feb 1657, at Wem.
Spouse 1: Elizabeth. No record of marriage found. Buried 15 Jun 1612 at Middle. Son:
- Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 31 Dec 1609 at Middle. 2nd generation >>
Spouse 2: Jane Hinks. Baptised 20 Jul 1589 at Loppington, daughter of Edward Hincks. “Of Burlton” when she married Thomas Atcherley on 17 Nov 1612 at Middle. Buried 15 Apr 1627 at Middle. Children:
- Eliza Atcherley. Baptised 9 Jun 1615 at Middle. Nothing further known.
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Baptised 11 Oct 1618 at Middle. Married John Chetwood (no records of the marriage or of his baptism or burial found) and had six children by him at Whitchurch. Their great granddaughter Mary Comberbach became the second wife of John Edwards of Great Ness, whose first wife was Mary’s third cousin Margaret Lowndes (daughter of Robert Lowndes and Margaret Atcherley).
- Mary Atcherley. Baptised 2 Feb 1622/3 at Middle. Married Roger Griffiths an Alderman of Shrewsbury (and Mayor in 1671), whose sister Elinor married Mary’s brother Thomas. Roger and Mary had at least three children at Shrewsbury (their great granddaughter Eleanor Griffiths married the Rev James Atcherley). After Mary died (she was buried 3 Oct 1662 at Shrewsbury St Chad) Roger Griffiths married Elinor Heynes, at Fitz, on 24 Sep 1663. Roger was buried 31 Jan 1698/98 at Shrewsbury St Chad and Elinor was buried there 2 Jan 1702/03.
- Richard Atcherley. Baptised 21 Aug 1625 at Middle. Branch 1 >>
Spouse 3: Daughter of “old Edge.” Son (born out of wedlock):
- Thomas Atcherley (a.k.a. Thomas Atcherley Edge, and Thomas Atcherley alias Edge). Presumed to be the Thomas Atcherley baptised 5 Jan 1617/8 at Middle (the register names his parents as “Thomae Atcherley de Marton, tanner, et Janae”). Branch 2: Thomas of Shropshire >>
Spouse 4: Ann Gough. Although described as the “widow of Nicholas Gough of Wolverley” she may have been Ann Gough baptised 5 Apr 1590 at Loppington, daughter of Nicholas Gough. Buried 29 Nov 1660 at Loppington. No children.
[Top] 2nd generation
Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 31 Dec 1609 at Middle. A tanner, and a “great dealer in timber”. Lived at Marton but also bought and leased land elsewhere in Shropshire and in Montgomeryshire. Buried 6 Aug 1681 at Middle. ^Parents
Spouse: Elinor Griffiths. Born in Shrewsbury (parish of St Chad), probably around 1620, and married there 14 Jul 1642. As noted above, Elinor’s brother Roger married Thomas Atcherley’s sister Mary. Children (birth dates from “a Bible with Apocrypha” details of which were published in Fragmenta Genealogica, volume 7, page 37):
- Ann Atcherley. Born 31 Jul 1643, probably at Marton. Married Owen Clutton (born at Chorlton in the parish of Malpas, Cheshire, baptised at Malpas, Cheshire, 27 Nov 1642 and buried there 3 Nov 1679) at Shrewsbury St Alkmund, 14 Jul 1665. The couple had seven children. After Owen’s death, Ann married Jonathan Bradley at Malpas, Cheshire on 29 Oct 1684; she was buried there 25 Dec 1717.
- Sarah Atcherley. Born 6 Sep 1645, probably at Marton. Buried 4 Sep 1664 at Middle, having died shortly before her 19th birthday.
- Thomas Atcherley. Born 14 Feb 1646/7, probably at Marton. Baptised 28 Feb 1646/7 at Middle. Apprenticed to a draper in Shrewsbury. Died between making his will on 6 Dec 1672 and the granting of probate on that will on 17 Dec 1673.
- Andrew Atcherley. Born 7 Apr 1649, probably at Marton. 3rd generation, family 1 >>
- Elinor Atcherley. Born 16 Nov 1650, probably at Marton. Married Nathaniel Kynaston on 29 Jan 1674/5 at Middle. After the death of Nathaniel (he was buried 26 Jul 1678 at Llansanffraid-ym-Mechain, Montgomeryshire) Elinor married Griffith Lloyd, vicar of Llansanffraid-ym-Mechain. Griffith was buried in that parish on 23 Jul 1696 having named Elinor as his residual legatee and executrix in his will of 27 May 1696. Burial record for Elinor (who had no children by either of her husbands) not found.
- Richard Atcherley. Born 2 Oct 1652, probably at Marton. 3rd generation, family 2 >>
- Jane Atcherley. Born 19 Mar 1653/4, probably at Marton. Married Thomas Cole of Shrewsbury on 10 Jan 1681/2 at Middle. Jane was buried 24 Apr 1719 at Middle and Thomas was buried there 12 Dec 1729. This couple had no children.
- Mary Atcherley. Born 29 Sep 1657, probably at Marton. Married Charles Chambre (born at Burlton in the parish of Loppington, and baptised at Loppington 15 Jan 1662) on 24 Jul 1683 at Middle. The couple had four children, all of whom died ‘without issue.’ Mary was buried 11 Mar 1701/2 at Loppington. Charles then married Ann, widow of Thomas Heath (she was born Ann Roe) 23 Jul 1703 at Malpas, Cheshire. Ann was buried 13 Jul 1730 at Malpas, Cheshire, and Charles was buried 22 Apr 1731 at Loppington.
[Top] 3rd generation, family 1
Andrew Atcherley. Born 7 Apr 1649, probably at Marton. His father gave him his lands at Forden, Montgomeryshire, but Andrew later inherited the Marton estate after the death of his brother Richard. Will dated 3 Feb 1709. Buried 9 Feb 1709/10 at Forden. ^Parents
Spouse: Jane Lloyd. Baptised 14 Oct 1648 at Forden, Montgomeryshire. Married there 19 Nov 1670 and buried there 9 Aug 1720. Children (all baptised at Forden, Montgomeryshire):
- Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 8 or 31 Aug 1671 at Forden. Buried there, aged about 20, on 20 Mar 1692.
- Sarah Atcherley. Baptised 24 Aug 1673 at Forden. Married Henry Phillips (baptised 23 Aug 1678 at Pontesbury) 7 Apr 1703 at Shrewsbury St Alkmund. The couple had five children (their great grandson John Phillips married his third cousin twice removed Elizabeth Atcherley). Henry was buried 1 Mar 1711/12 at Pontesbury, and Sarah was buried there 21 Jan 1744/45.
- Jane Atcherley. Baptised 13 Feb 1675 at Forden. Married Samuel Roofe 6 Jun 1705 at Uffington. The couple had four children, the last of whom (Isabell Roofe) was baptised at Uffington 2 Sep 1711. The Jane Roofe who was buried there five days later on 7 Sep 1711 was probably the former Jane Atcherley rather than her daughter Jane. Nothing further is known of this family after that burial.
- Elinor Atcherley. Baptised 7 Jun 1677 at Forden. Buried there 16 Apr 1693, aged about 15.
- Isaak Atcherley. Buried 24 Sep 1678 at Forden.
- Jacob Atcherley. Buried 24 Sep 1678 at Forden. Isaak and Jacob may have been twins who died in infancy before they could be baptised.
- Richard Atcherley. Baptised 1 Oct 1679 at Forden. 4th generation >>
- Mary Atcherley. Baptised 17 Apr 1681 at Forden. An old, but undated, family tree diagram now held at Shropshire Archives shows that Mary married a Mr Kynnerley, but no records of him, the marriage, or of any children resulting from it, have been found and Mary’s fate is not known.
- Roger Atcherley. Baptised 13 Jan 1682/3 at Forden. Buried there 23 Aug 1686, aged about 3.
- Anne Atcherley. Baptised 16 Feb 1683/4 at Forden. The old, but undated, family tree diagram at Shropshire Archives referred to above shows that Anne married a Mr Jones, but again no records of him, the marriage, or of any children resulting from it, have been found and Anne’s fate, like that of her sister Mary, is not known.
- Andrew Atcherley. Baptised 8 May 1686 at Forden. “Of Kilkewydd” (now Cilcewydd) in the parish of Forden. Buried 2 Oct 1730 at Forden.
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Baptised 19 Sep 1688 at Forden. The old, but undated, family tree diagram at Shropshire Archives referred to above shows that Elizabeth married a Mr Davies, but once more no records of him, the marriage, or of any children resulting from it, have been found and Elizabeth’s fate too is unknown.
- Frances Atcherley. Baptised 9 Nov 1689 at Forden. Married Griffith Griffiths there on 13 Feb 1708/9. The couple had a daughter, Hannah Griffiths, who was baptised on 20 Jul 1710 at Welshpool, Montgomeryshire and who married John Dickin there after a marriage settlement was agreed on 30 Jul 1733. Griffith Griffiths was buried 23 Jan 1742 at Welshpool, Montgomeryshire but I have not found a record of the burial of Frances.
[Top] 3rd generation, family 2
Richard Atcherley. Born 2 Oct 1652, probably at Marton. Richard died aged 30 and was buried 29 Dec 1682 at Middle, before the birth of his posthumous child. ^Parents
Spouse: Margaret Hill. Born 22 Jun 1657 at Hodnet, baptised there the same day, daughter of Rowland Hill. Married 17 Jun 1680 at Hodnet. Daughter:
- Margaret Atcherley. Born 4 Jun 1683 at Hodnet and baptised there 12 Jun 1683. Married Robert Lowndes of Winslow, Buckinghamshire (baptised 26 Oct 1680 at Westminster St Margaret, Middlesex) 24 Jun 1702 at Walbrook St Stephen, London, Middlesex. The couple had ten children. Robert died in 1727, and Margaret passed away on 18 Apr 1728.
(After Richard Atcherley’s death, his widow Margaret married Thomas Harwood (born Shrewsbury, 10 Aug 1661, and baptised there at St Chad 18 Aug 1661), probably about 1667. The couple had five children. Margaret was buried at Hodnet, 23 May 1734, and Thomas was buried at Atcham, 12 Mar 1738/39.)
[Top] 4th generation
Richard Atcherley. Baptised 1 Oct 1679 at Forden, Montgomeryshire. Later of Marton. Died 11 May 1750. Buried 15 May 1750 at Middle. ^Parents
Spouse: Elizabeth Lloyd. Born at Leaton in the parish of Pimhill and baptised 21 Jul 1681 at Albrighton in that parish. Daughter of Edward Lloyd and his wife Elizabeth (Cleaton). Married 28 Jan 1702 at Battlefield. Died 24 Jul 1755. Buried 28 Jul 1755 at Middle. Children:
- Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 6 Apr 1704 at Middle. 5th generation. >>
- Richard Atcherley. Baptised 30 Oct 1705 at Middle. Lived at Wem. Died 12 Apr 1766. Buried 16 Apr 1766 at Middle.
[Top] 5th generation
Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 6 Apr 1704 at Middle. Lived in Loppington parish. Died before his father and was buried 29 Dec 1738 at Middle, aged about 34. ^Parents
Spouse: Dorothy Whitney. Baptised 18 Apr 1704 at Wilmslow, Cheshire. Married 4 Jul 1722 at Acton, Cheshire. Buried 29 May 1792 at Middle. Children:
- Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 25 May 1723 at Wrenbury, Cheshire. Died aged about 20 and buried 27 Jul 1743 at Middle.
- Jane Atcherley. Baptism record not found. Buried 16 Mar 1738/9 at Middle.
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Baptised 3 Jun 1726 at Loppington. Married Richard Palin (grandson of Richard Gough) 2 Feb 1748/9 at Middle. The couple had one son, also named Richard, before Richard senior died (he was buried 26 Jan 1751 at Baschurch). Elizabeth then married Richard Chambre (born at Whettall in the parish of Ellesmere, and baptised 8 Aug 1722 at Ellesmere) at Prees on 26 Aug 1752. Richard and Elizabeth had a daughter, Elizabeth, baptised 29 Aug 1753 at Ellesmere. Elizabeth Chambre, formerly Palin, nee Atcherley, died 28 Oct 1788 at Shrewsbury and was buried 3 Nov 1788 at Wem. Richard was buried there 29 Mar 1803, having died 25 Mar 1803.
- Dorothy Atcherley. Baptised 16 Sep 1727 at Loppington. Was of Wem when she died. Buried 17 Apr 1788 at Middle.
- Richard Atcherley. Baptised 28 Aug 1729 at Loppington and was buried there less than a month later on 17 Sep 1729.
- Robert Atcherley. Baptised 8 Jan 1730/1 at Loppington. Married Elizabeth Crump (born at Uppington in that part of the parish of Alberbury falling within Montgomeryshire and baptised 15 Dec 1724 at Buttington, Montgomeryshire) on 14 Dec 1755 at Alberbury. The couple had no children. Robert died 10 Sep 1758 and was buried 13 Sep 1758 at Middle. Elizabeth his widow then married surgeon Francis Lomax (born 24 Aug 1737 at Shrewsbury and baptised there, at St Chad, 2 Sep 1737) on 20 Sep 1773 at Shrewsbury St Chad. Elizabeth was buried at Shrewsbury St Chad 19 Jun 1780 and Francis was buried there 6 Jul 1782.
- Richard Atcherley. Baptised 24 Feb 1731/2 at Loppington. Richard of Marton >>
- Hugh Atcherley. Baptised 14 Sep 1733 at Loppington and buried there a little under six months later on 5 Mar 1733/4.
- John Atcherley. Baptised 15 Mar 1734/5 at Loppington and buried there 10 days later on 25 Mar 1735.
- Thomasin Atcherley. Baptised Jun 1736 at Middle and buried there 24 Apr 1739, aged about 3.
[Top] Branch 1: 1st generation
Richard Atcherley. Baptised 21 Aug 1625 at Middle. Buried 6 Apr 1672 at Wem. ^Parents
Spouse: Susanna Brookes. Likely born around 1625 in Cheshire. May have married there around 1650. Buried 14 Dec 1714 at Wrexham, Denbighshire. Children:
- Susanna Atcherley. Baptised 10 Aug 1651 at Whitchurch. Married Hugh Wickstead (baptised 11 Sep 1653 at Whitchurch) on 20 Jul 1676 at Wem. The couple had seven children, all baptised at Whitchurch, from 1677 to 1692. Susanna was buried 14 Dec 1739 at Whitchurch, but I have not found a record of Hugh’s burial.
- Ann Atcherley. Likely born around 1653 in Shropshire. Married Joseph Goldsborough 1 Jan 1674/5 at Wem. The couple had a daughter, Debora Goldsborough, baptised at Wem on 23 May 1678. Joseph was buried 2 Jan 1685 at Wem, and Susanna was buried there 6 May 1687.
- Unnamed Atcherley. Probably born about 1654. Buried, as a “young Child of Richard Acherleyes of Northwood”, 1 Feb 1655/56 at Wem.
- Thomas Atcherley. Born 18 Nov 1656 at Wem, and baptised there 16 Dec 1656. Buried 14 Mar 1669/70, aged 13.
- Mary Atcherley. Likely born around 1659 in Shropshire (no baptism found, but mentioned in her father’s will). Almost certainly the Mary Acherley who married Charles Poole at Wem on 24 Aug 1686. There are records of children fathered by a Charles Poole, Gent, being baptised at Chester St Michael, Cheshire, after this marriage but no evidence to link them with certainty to the Charles Poole who married Mary Atcherley. If these records do relate, Mary may have been the Mary Poole, widow, who was buried 27 Jul 1743 at Chester St John, Cheshire.
- Eleanor Atcherley. Likely born around 1662 in Shropshire (no baptism found, but mentioned in her father’s will). Married John Langford at Ellesmere 4 May 1692 and had at least one child by him there. Eleanor may have been the “Ellinor Langford of the Parish of Hanmer” buried 13 Jun 1741 at Ellesmere. Nothing further known regarding John Langford.
- Sara Atcherley. Baptised 3 Jun 1664 at Wem. Buried 29 Jan 1667/8 at Wem.
- Richard Atcherley. Baptised 11 Jun 1667 at Wem. Married Ann Mainwaring (daughter of Arthur and Mary Mainwaring of Shifnal) in 1689. Richard was buried 16 Aug 1723 at Loppington. Ann then went to live at Preston on the Wild Moors and was buried there 18 Jul 1741. The couple had no children.
- Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 14 Jul 1672 at Wem. 2nd generation >>
[Top] Branch 1: 2nd generation
Thomas Atcherley. Baptised 14 Jul 1672 at Wem. An ironmonger who lived at Wrexham, Denbighshire and later at Ellesmere. Buried 21 Jun 1741 at Ellesmere. ^Parents
Spouse: Mary Atcherley. Baptised 5 Mar 1671/2 at Baschurch, daughter of John Atcherley and his second wife Mary Spendlove. Probably married around 1700 but no record this event has been found. Buried 19 Aug 1747 at Ellesmere. Children:
- Richard Atcherley. Probably born at Wrexham, Denbighshire, or possibly at Stanwardine in Baschurch. Baptised 12 Aug 1701 at Baschurch. Educated at Wrexham, then at St John’s, Cambridge University. He was “for some time curate of Wellington, till he grow disordered in his mind.” Buried at Ellesmere 1 Feb 1753.
- Martha Atcherley. Probably born at Wrexham, Denbighshire. Baptised 9 Aug 1703 at Baschurch. Buried 30 Apr 1712 at Wrexham, Denbighshire.
- Mary Atcherley. Probably born at Wrexham, Denbighshire. Baptised 24 Apr 1706 at Baschurch. Married Roger Kynaston (baptised 10 Jun 1716 at Loppington) 4 Jun 1737 at Dudleston. The couple had two daughters, baptised at Ellesmere. Mary was buried 9 May 1758 at Ellesmere. I have not found a record of Roger’s burial.
- Roger Atcherley. Born 2 Oct 1712 at Wrexham, Denbighshire and baptised there 1 Nov 1712. 3rd generation >>
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Born 2 Jul 1715 at Wrexham, Denbighshire and baptised there 22 Jul 1715. Northing further known.
[Top] Branch 1: 3rd generation
Roger Atcherley. Born 2 Oct 1712 at Wrexham, Denbighshire and baptised there 1 Nov 1712. Buried 3 Feb 1784 at Ellesmere.^Parents
Spouse: Dorothy Spencer. Baptised 18 May 1716 at Ellesmere, daughter of Edward Spencer of the Cross in that parish. Married about 20 Aug 1746 at Welshampton. Buried 16 Jan 1781 at Ellesmere. Children:
- Dorothy Atcherley. Probably born about 1747, but baptism record not found. Buried 19 May 1748 at Ellesmere.
- Ann Atcherley. Baptised 24 Jul 1750 at Ellesmere. Married Francis Lloyd (baptised 11 Oct 1751 at Eaton Under Heywood) 19 Jun 1783 at Ellesmere. The couple had three daughters, born at Whittington and Wem. Francis died 3 Aug 1830 and was buried 11 Aug 1830; Ann was buried there 2 Jul 1838 having died 26 Jun 1838.
- Sarah Atcherley. Baptised 5 Mar 1752 at Ellesmere. Married Thomas Dickin (baptised 4 Jan 1737 at Wem) 27 Apr 1775 at Ellesmere. The couple had nine children, all at Wem. Their granddaughter Jane Louisa Dickin married Francis Topping Atcherley. Sarah died 2 Mar 1803, I have not found a record of her burial. Thomas died 13 Nov 1805 and was buried 18 Nov 1805 at Loppington.
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Baptised 1 Mar 1754 at Ellesmere. Married her third cousin twice removed John Phillips (baptised 25 Feb 1756 at Pontesbury, great grandson of Henry Phillips and Sarah Atcherley) 4 Jun 1789 at Ellesmere. The couple had two children and their descendants can be traced into the 1900s. John was buried 2 May 1801 at Pontesbury. Elizabeth was buried 28 Aug 1840 at Ellesmere.
- Edward Atcherley. Baptised 16 Sep 1756 at Ellesmere. Lived the Cross in that parish. Died 13 Feb 1829. Buried 20 Feb 1829 at Ellesmere.