… and his descendants
Reviewed and updated 8 Jun 2014 (with a further minor update on 2 Dec 2018)
I often think of this branch of the family as the “Rowland Atcherleys” due to the four generations of the family that included a son with Rowland as a forename. Initially based at Edgerley in the Shropshire parish of Kinnerley, members of this family spread far and wide over time. Richard of Edgerley’s descendants (if those from the female lines are included) migrated as far afield as Germany, Canada, the USA, Australia and New Zealand.
Unless otherwise stated, all places named below are in Shropshire, England and those places outside Shropshire are in England or Wales.
Richard Atcherley. Born around 1695 in Shropshire, but no baptism record found. Lived at Stanton on Hine Heath before his marriage, and afterwards at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley. Buried (as “Richard Atcherley of Edgerley Gent.” on 22 Feb 1766 at Kinnerley. ^Parents
Spouse: Jane Davies. Born at Sandford in the parish of West Felton, and baptised in that parish 31 May 1711, the fourth daughter of Edward Davies, yeoman, and Dorothy his wife. Married 16 Oct 1731 at Shrewsbury. Buried 22 Apr 1736 at Kinnerley. Children:
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley, and baptised 8 Sep 1732 at Kinnerley. Married Isaac Davies Jones (known as “Gentleman Jones”) on 1 Sep 1753 at Shrewsbury. The couple had six children in the parish of Kinnerley and some of their Jones descendants, including John Atcherley Jones, can be traced into the 1800s.
- Richard Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley, and baptised 24 Jan 1733/4 at Kinnerley. 2nd generation >>
[Top] 2nd generation
Richard Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley, and baptised 24 Jan 1733/4 at Kinnerley. A Gentleman. Lived at Edgerley. Will dated 17 Feb 1773. Buried 21 Feb 1773 at Kinnerley. ^Parents
Spouse: Elizabeth Oliver. Baptised 13 Mar 1742/3 at Selattyn. Married 11 May 1767 at Kinnerley. Children:
- John Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 21 Sep 1767 at Kinnerley. 3rd generation, family 1 >>
- James Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 3 Apr 1769 at Kinnerley. Buried 31 Mar 1776 at Kinnerley, aged about 6.
- Rowland Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 1 Sep 1767 as Roger Atcherley at Kinnerley. 3rd generation, family 2 >>
- Richard Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley after his father’s death, and baptised 29 Mar 1773 at Kinnerley. Probably the Richard Atcherley buried at Kinnerley on 20 Feb 1802 even though the register names his father as John Atcherley.
(After the death of Richard Atcherley senior, his widow Elizabeth married John Woodall on 1 Nov 1774 at Knockin. The couple lived at Edgerley and had five children there, then moved the Albrighton near Shrewsbury, where Elizabeth was buried on 22 Oct 1786.)
[Top] 3rd generation, family 1
John Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 21 Sep 1767 at Kinnerley. Farmer. Lived at Edgerley and Dovaston in the parish of Kinnerley. Buried 11 Sep 1818 at Kinnerley. Although the baptism records for his children show that John was a freeholder and farmer, his daughters did not marry wealthy men and his widow was described as a pauper on the 1851 census, suggesting a downturn in the family’s fortunes. ^Parents
Spouse: Anna Maria Howell. Born 28 Feb 1769 at Oswestry, and baptised there 3 Mar 1769, daughter of Richard Howell, a grocer, and his wife Sarah. Married 3 Mar 1791 at Kinnerley. Census: 1841, 1851 – Dovaston, Kinnerley. Buried 29 Nov 1852 at Kinnerley. Children:
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Born 15 Nov 1791 at Dovaston in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 17 Nov 1791 at Kinnerley. Married James McCallum (born around 1805 in Kenmore parish, Perthshire, Scotland) who emigrated to Canada in 1832. I have found no record of the marriage. James died 19 Oct 1863 in Oxford County, Ontario, Canada, and Elizabeth died there (at Milton) on 3 Feb 1865. Both are commemorated on a gravestone at Boston Cemetery, Milton (with Elizabeth’s date of birth given as 15 Nov 1797).
- Sarah Atcherley. Born 6 May 1795 at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 23 Aug 1795 at Kinnerley. Married Richard Benbow (born 5 May 1787 at Ledrod, Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain, Montgomeryshire), a tailor, on 10 Mar 1815 at Meifod, Montgomeryshire and lived with him at Llan in the parish of Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain, Montgomeryshire. The parish baptism register includes 11 records for children of this couple, including three named Richard. Sons David Benbow and Charles Atcherley Benbow both emigrated to New Zealand, where Charles has many descendants. Sarah died about 1875 in Montgomeryshire, and her husband Richard died there about 1876.
- Margaret Ann Atcherley. Born 6 Oct 1797 at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 29 Nov 1797 at Kinnerley. Married Thomas Needham (baptised 16 May 1802 at Whitford, Flintshire), a lead minder and later a gardener, on 6 Jan 1824 at Oswestry. The couple had two children in Flintshire, and two more in Manchester, Lancashire, including Charles Needham who emigrated to Australia.
- Jane Atcherley. Born 5 Nov 1805 at Dovaston in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 17 Nov 1805 at Knockin (parish register names her mother as “Hanah [Richard Atcherley’s] wife, formerly Hood of Osbaston”). Married Thomas Evans 19 Oct 1830 at Kinnerley. The couple had two children: Joseph Evans, and Elizabeth Atcherley Evans. It appears that Thomas Evans died before the census of 1841 and that after that census Jane married a Mr Jones, who died before 1851. Census: 1841, 1851 – with mother.
[Top] 3rd generation, family 2
Rowland Atcherley. Born at Edgerley in the parish of Kinnerley and baptised 1 Sep 1767 as Roger Atcherley at Kinnerley. A Gentleman. Lived at Edgerley, then Wolborough, Devon, and finally at Castletown in the parish of Malew, Isle of Man. A record showing the burial of a 57-year-old “Rowland Stoherly” on 26 Aug 1831 at Malew, Isle of Man, almost certainly relates to him. Administration of his estate was granted to his widow Eliza on 16 May 1838. ^Parents
Spouse: Eliza Oliver. Baptised 19 Apr 1787 at West Teignmouth, Devon, as Elizabeth, daughter of William Oliver, MD, and his wife Elizabeth (Bradford). Married 24 May 1810 at Walcot, Somerset. Died 2 Jun 1866 at Dresden, Saxony, Germany. Children:
- Elizabeth Atcherley. Born 9 Mar 1811 at Newton Abbot in the parish of Wolborough, Devon. Baptised 18 Mar 1811 at Wolborough. Married Graf (Count) Carl Reinhold Johann Krockow von Wickerode (born 27 Jan 1825 in Eastern Pomerania) on 19 Jul 1852 at Brompton, Middlesex. The couple had no children. Elizabeth died 12 Oct 1882 at Luben, Germany. Carl then married Lida Elizabeth Marjorie Schoomaker (born about 1858 in USA) on 22 Aug 1883 at Brompton, Middlesex. Carl died in 1901, and Lida died in 1940.
- Rowland Atcherley. Born at Newton Abbot in the parish of Wolborough, Devon. Baptised 8 Feb 1813 at Wolborough. 4th generation >>
- Caroline Atcherley. Born at Newton Abbot in the parish of Wolborough, Devon. Baptised 10 Oct 1814 at Wolborough. Census: 1841 – Wolborough, Devon; 1851 – not known; 1861, 1871 – Exeter, Devon; 1881 – Edgmond; 1891 – Withycombe Raleigh, Devon. Living at Barnstaple, Devon prior to her death, in Devon, on 12 Jan 1898.
- Charlotte Atcherley. Baptised 28 Oct 1816 at Wolborough, Devon, and buried there two weeks later on 11 Nov 1816.
- Charlotte Atcherley. Born at Newton Abbot in the parish of Wolborough, Devon. Baptised 6 Mar 1818 at Wolborough. Census: 1841 – not known; 1851 – Highweek, Devon; 1861, 1871 – not known; 1881, 1891, 1901 – Newton Abbot, Wolborough, Devon. Died 4 Nov 1891 at Newton Abbot, Wolborough, Devon.
[Top] 4th generation
Rowland Atcherley. Born at Newton Abbot in the parish of Wolborough, Devon. Baptised 8 Feb 1813 at Wolborough. Doctor of Medicine (Doctorate obtained 1837 at University of Glasgow). Census: 1841 – not found. Died 11 Mar 1851 at Bristol, Gloucestershire. Buried 15 Mar 1851 at Winterbourne, Gloucestershire. ^Parents
Spouse: Ann Compton du Moulin. Born 26 Apr 1814 at Bristol, Gloucestershire and baptised there at the Roman Catholic Chapel on 2 May 1814. Married 13 Jan 1846 at Bath, Somerset. Census: 1841 – not found; 1851 – Bath, Somerset. Children:
- Ann Isabella Atcherley. Born 3 JUl 1846 at Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. Baptised 5 Feb 1847 at Plymouth, Devon. Census: 1851 – with mother. Nothing further known.
- Rowland John Atcherley. Born 14 Feb 1848 at Shaldon, Devon. 5th generation, family 1 >>
- Henry Oliver Atcherley. Born 1850 at Shaldon, Devon. Baptised 27 Jul 1850 at East Teignmouth, Devon. 5th generation, family 2 >>
(After the death of Rowland Atcherley in 1851, his widow Ann married Camille Casimir Breton (born about 1821 in France) in 1856 in Bath, Somerset. The couple had a son, Robert Camille Breton (born about 1857 in Bath, Somerset, died 22 Aug 1921 in Halesworth, Suffolk). Ann was recorded as a widow on the 1891 census while Camille was living with a ‘wife’ named Rosa! Camille died later in 1891 in Southwark, London. Ann died 24 Feb 1893 in Surrey.)
[Top] 5th generation, family 1
Rowland John Atcherley, Ph.D. Born 14 Feb 1848 at Shaldon, Devon. Chemist and mining engineer. Census: 1851 – Highweek, Devon; 1861 – Exeter, Devon; 1871 – Theydon Bois, Essex; 1881, 1891 – not found (probably abroad). Died 8 Sep 1891 in Singapore. ^Parents
Spouse 1: Ada Elizabeth Bellville. Born 10 Apr 1847 at Holborn, Middlesex. Baptised 2 May 1848 at St George the Martyr, Middlesex. Daughter of John Benjafield Bellville, a grocer / merchant, and his wife Ann (Clarke). Married 2 Nov 1869 at West Holloway, Islington, Middlesex. Ada petitioned for divorce on 25 Mar 1890, but the proceedings were stayed on 19 Jan 1891. Census: 1871 – with husband; 1881 – Willesden, Middlesex; 1891 – Richmond, Surrey; 1901 – Dorking, Surrey; 1911 – Barnes, Surrey. Died 12 Oct 1926 in Surrey. Buried 20 Oct 1926 at Richmond, Surrey. Children:
- Rowland Hill Atcherley. Born 15 Oct 1870 at Theydon Bois, Essex. Baptised 22 Dec 1872 at Rivington, Lancashire. 6th generation, family 1 >>
- Muriel Atcherley. Born 19 May 1872 at Bow, London, Middlesex. Baptised 2 Aug 1872 at Bromley, Middlesex. Baptised 22 Dec 1872 at Rivington, Lancashire. Census: 1881 – Newton Abbot, Wolborough, Devon; 1891 – with mother. Married Walter Flower Folliott (born 30 Sep 1867 at Salisbury, Wiltshire), a bank clerk and later an import/export merchant, on 19 May 1897 at Twickenham, Middlesex. Walter died about 1928 in South Africa. Muriel lived in Hammersmith, London, from 1933 to 1939 and was recorded with a daughters and son-in-law in New York on the 1940 US census. She returned to England and died 23 Jan 1956 at Windlesham, Surrey. Walter and Muriel had three daughters: Margaret Ada Folliott (married Reginald Frank Foster), Joan Elsie Folliott (married Leonard Arthur Vaughan), and Muriel Doria Folliott (married Eugene Ozias Speck).
- Roger Oliver Bellville Atcherley. Born 5 Oct 1873 at Preston, Lancashire. Baptised 22 Nov 1873 at Wardleworth, Rochdale, Lancashire. Census: 1881 – with mother; 1891 – with mother; 1901 – not included (in South Africa); 1911 – not known (probably in South Africa). Married Lucy Isabella Burne (born 17 Mar 1884 at Durban, Natal, South Africa) on 21 Mar 1914 at Lower Umgeni, Durban, Natal, South Africa, at which time Roger was a forwarding agent. The couple had no children, and later divorced. Roger died around 1940 in Mozambique. Lucy died 21 Mar 1956 at Durban, Natal, South Africa.
Spouse 2: Emma Wheeler. Born about 1864 at Kingston, Surrey according to the 1891 census (living then at Greenwich, London). However Emma also stated on that census that she was married and that her surname was Atcherley, although she was not married to Rowland. She may have been the daughter of labourer Frederick Wheeler and his wife Elizabeth, who moved with their family from Kingston, Surrey, to Brighton, Sussex not long after Emma’s birth. Named by her son in 1914 as E Johnson of 4 Nelldale Road in Rotherhithe, London. Son:
- Jack Rowland Atcherley. Born 1 May 1890 at Kensington, London (birth registered under the name Jack Rowland Atcherley Wheeler). 6th generation, family 2 >>
[Top] 5th generation, family 2
Henry Oliver Atcherley. Born 1850 at Shaldon, Devon. Baptised 27 Jul 1850 at East Teignmouth, Devon. After living on interest of money, he was a midshipman, and later a licensed victualler. Census: 1851 – not known; 1861 – Exeter, Devon; 1871 – Islington, Middlesex; 1881 – St Marylebone, Middlesex; 1891 – Brighton, Sussex. Died 2 Jun 1900 in Sussex. ^Parents
Spouse: Emma Elizabeth Goldup. Born 1849 at Newington, Surrey and baptised there 11 Nov 1849, posthumous daughter of Thomas Goldup, a commercial traveller, and his wife Emma (Caseley). Married 31 Jan 1878 at Lambeth, Surrey. Census: 1871 – with spouse (living together though not yet married); 1881 – with husband. Died 1890 in Sussex. Children:
- Rose Goldup Atcherley. Born 1871 at Islington, Middlesex. Census: 1881 – with parents; 1891 – with father. Married Harry O’Donoghue Vosper (born 25 Mar 1875 at Devonport, Devon), a brewer, in 1896 at Brighton, Sussex. The couple had a son, Roy Atcherley Vosper, born 1898 at Preston, Sussex, died 13 Aug 1964 at St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands. Rose died about 1899 in Sussex. Harry, who remarried after Rose’s death, died 1956 in Hampshire.
- Kate Atcherley. Born 1872 at Islington, Middlesex. Census: 1881 – with parents; 1891 – with father. Married Abraham Hurwitz (born 17 Jul 1867 at Vilnius, Lithuania) between 1891 and 1895 in Brussels, Belgium. After Abraham’s death, Kate Hurwitz married Maurice John Dixwell Grimes (born 1882 at Shanklin, Isle of Wight), a bank clerk, on 1 Dec 1910 in Fulham, London. Maurice died 17 Sep 1943 in London. Kate died 12 Jan 1946 in London.
- Harry Atcherley. Born about 1874 at Islington, Middlesex. Census: 1881 – with parents; 1891 – with father; 1901 – Brighton, Sussex; 1911 – Southwick, Sussex. Died 1918 in Sussex.
- Jessie Elizabeth Atcherley. Born 6 Nov 1875 at Pancras, Middlesex. Died 1878, aged 2, in Middlesex. Buried 18 Apr 1878 at Stoke Newington, Middlesex.
[Top] 6th generation, family 1
Rowland Hill Atcherley. Born 15 Oct 1870 at Theydon Bois, Essex. Baptised 22 Dec 1872 at Rivington, Lancashire. An actor (stage name George Rowlands). Census: 1871 – Theydon Bois, Essex; 1881 – Willesden, Middlesex; 1891 – not known; 1901 – Lambeth, Surrey; 1911 – Barnes, Surrey. Died 1936 in Leeds. ^Parents
Spouse 1: Florence Bertha Rose Poole. Born about 1876 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, daughter of Charles Augustus Poole and his wife Mary (or Minnie) Ferris, an actress known as Meta Pelham. Florence was also an actress (stage name Florence Pelham). Married 14 May 1898 at Auckland, New Zealand. Census – 1901, 1911 – with husband. Died about 1958 in Surrey. Daughter:
- Phyllis Atcherley. Born 6 Jan 1899 in Australia. Census – 1901, 1911 – with parents. Married Eric Shakespeare Glasspoole (born about 1898 at Islington, London) about 1948 at Westminster, London. Eric died 13 Mar 1952 in London. Phyllis died 1998 in Surrey. The couple had no children.
Spouse 2: Laura Bramfoot (or Branfoot / Bramford /Bramforth). Born 16 Apr 1904 at Ferry Fryston, Yorkshire and baptised there 11 Aug 1904, daughter of James (a coal miner) and his wife Janet. Not married to Rowland (married Alfred Adams in 1952). Died 1980 in Brighton, Sussex. Child:
[Top] 6th generation, family 2
Jack Rowland Atcherley. Born 1 May 1890 at Kensington, London (birth registered under the name Jack Rowland Atcherley Wheeler). Chemist. Census: 1891 – Greenwich, London; 1901 – Kensington, London. Emigrated, and lived in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia before moving to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Died 16 Jun 1968, in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. ^Parents
Spouse 1: Miss J Reilly. Named (as Miss Riley) as next of kin on Rowland’s World War 1 attestation paper. Nothing further known. Son:
- Rowland Reilly (a.k.a. Rollie Reilly). Born 15 Jul 1914 at Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Married Evelyn May Klaedtke (born about 1912). Rowland died 30 Nov 2010 at Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia. Evelyn predeceased him, on 16 Dec 2004. The couple had three children.
Spouse 2: Doris Annie Howling. Born about 1899 at Wandin Yallock, Victoria, Australia. Married about 1922 at Rabaul, New Guinea. No record of death / burial found. Children:
- Denis Atcherley. No birth / baptism record found. Died about 1931 at Elsternwick, Victoria, Australia.